1.21.2009

Bearing Witness


The last time I stood on the National Mall was during the Million Man March. It was a humbling experience. No matter how cynical one might feel, no matter the amount of bitterness carried within, generated by memories of past slights and injustices, standing on that Mall can bring you to your knees. Chills course through my veins as I try to find words to describe the feelings. My hands are frozen, cold, fighting with the keys, where under normal circumstances, my digits dance, tapping out my thoughts, chronicling my deeds.

233 years after the founding of this country, 144 years after the Civil War ended, 46 years after Dr. King’s Dream, and one day after his official birthday, my dream of a black president, has been realized. 

Obama is in the White House.

Exhale, time to get to work...

2 comments:

Barry Floore said...

A Republican friend of mine says he watches newscast of Obama supporters just so he can "see how stupid all the black people are."

We have a LOT of work to get to.

Jo Moore said...

You're so right...statements like that make me know we're doing something right...

I would rather dwell on the good stuff you do on your site, than react to idiotic statement made by immature white boys..

keep up the good work..