2.11.2007

And on the 7th Day, She Rested

Haven’t felt much like writing this past week. I guess, sometimes the brain needs to take a break from creation. Makes me wonder how God did all that stuff in six days. Makes me understand why she rested on the seventh. Throughout my rest, I’ve suffered daily guilt at not putting fingers on keyboard to create. I’ve played solitaire. I’ve done crossword puzzles. I’ve answered tons of email. Just no literary creations, and I’m still not ready, but my angst at not writing, is driving me crazy. So I’m back.

There has been plenty to talk about, this past week, and I have been paying attention, just not enough to engage in my own personal spin on things. Until now that is.

Super Bowl redux
Yeah, I know, the Bears lost. I went with my heart instead of my head. I know Peyton is the best quarterback, but the last time Chicago was in the big game, it won without having a real quarterback. Anybody remember Jimmy Mac for anything other than his headbands and clashes with the commissioner? I rest my case. Grossman had as good a chance as any to win. He will be a good QB someday.

Besides Prince and half time was the real drawing card this year. But I’m wondering why the musical midget’s massive phallic display, which went on for several minutes, escaped notice? Janet flashed a nipple for a couple of seconds, you had to tivo and rerun it to see it...and she causes an uproar that is still reverberating.

Why is penis display okay while an accidental female nipple reveal is not?

*******************

Anna Nicole
Her sudden death wasn’t really a surprise, and I can’t really say that I am stunned by the massive media coverage. I make the distinction between media and news because it’s no longer news coverage. The news died when Walter Kronkite retired several years ago. We are in an age of celebrity for the sake of celebrity. People make the news now a days for simply being famous, no accomplishment or talent necessary. For several years now we have been in the age of infotainment or a blending of information (real or made up), gossip and news.

One of the TV stations in my town has the slogan “where the news comes first.”.....Then it opened it’s newscast with the death of Anna Nicole. The next day it led with 100 year old Prince what’s his name, Zsa Zsa Gabor’s apparently senile husband, claiming paternity of the dead woman’s five month old baby.

Meantime, 30 people died in yet another bombing in Iraq, another black hawk was shot down, and our president continues to try to steer us into a war with Iran.

There was a poll of high school students published a couple of weeks ago in the Washington Post. It said that most kids want to be famous and rich, in that order. Used to be that kids wanted to pursue a career, like fireman, policeman, teacher, lawyer, doctor. Kids wanted to grow up and help others, first. Don’t get me wrong, everyone wants to make a lot of money, but today no one hides the greed or the desire for material stuff.

Makes me understand why we’re in an age of humiliation television. This world abounds with people willing to do anything for 15 minutes of fame no matter what the cost to their psyche and dignity. Even the money has become secondary to that fleeting 15 minutes of spotlight. I think that I am most bothered by the huge audience for these pseudo reality shows. Millions of people tune in to watch daily, as people degrade and humiliate themselves in the quest for celebrity. As a people, we haven’t progressed very far from the romans watching their caesar feed Christians to the lions in some amphitheater.

*******************

ET’s Back
That astronaut lady really is a rocket scientist, albeit a very confused one, at the moment. I can understand tossing the wig and the weapons after the botched attack on the other woman...but 600-dollars? Why throw away the money? Didn’t she need it to fund her escape?
I really think it’s time for one of those alien autopsies for real, to determine what came back from space inside Astronaut Nowak.

************************

Wow! It’s Black History Month.....did anyone notice?

*****************
Not A Homo!
Man! After three weeks of intensive prayer therapy, the Reverend Ted Haggard is really, really, really, really, really, really, heterosexual. He said so.....again as he skips gaily off into the sunset hand in hand with his heavily in denial wife, as they pursue joint degrees in psychology at some closeted Midwestern university.

Careful Rev. Ted...gay boys are everywhere, even in the Midwest...think Brokeback Mountain... you don’t have to be in Kansas to find friends of Dorothy...but then, you probably already know that.

No comments: